Sunday 16 June 2013

Lazy weekend

I don't have a lot to show for this weeks work. This is mostly because the jobs I have been doing have been typing up patterns and drawing up plans for upcoming projects rather than making lovely thing but also I've because had a very silly injury so I can't crochet.

On Thursday I had a lazy day of slow cooking in preparation for dinner at my friends new flat on Friday. I don't normally get a chance to cook something truly yummy for myself and a slow cook day when the house is full of wonderful smells is always a joy.
 A few weeks ago I'd seen them make pulled pork and bean hash on sunday brunch and now seem the perfect time to give it a go.

I didn't do the pork the way they said as I already have a recipe for slow cooked pork, so I used that. The pork is smothered with garlic, ginger and chili before going in for a slow cook. I have somehow in the move lost my pestle and mortar and my micro plane grater, so there was only one thing for it I had to chop everything by hand. This was quite enjoyable even if it did take some time. The smells alone were worth it but at the end of lots of chopping my arm way aching a bit. On with the beans and more chopping of more garlic, chili, ginger and onion, now my arms getting really tired.

Work on the food done I settled down to a lazy day crocheting. I started work on a granny square blanket

Cal helping :) This is a project just for me and so I'm happy for it to be a bit of a labour of love but my hand wasn't and I didn't get far with it.

Waking up for a day at the day job on Friday, my arm was very stiff and sore. It was going to stop me though as I had an evening out and yummy food to enjoy after work.

What a lovely night it was too. I managed to persuade Richard to open one of the cheap bottles of champers he got when he work at sainsburys, we listened to real music on vinyl records, enjoyed the food and had a good old natter :)


Unfortunately, I think all that heavy lifting of a wine glass was the straw that broke the camels back as far as my arm was concreted. By Saturday morning it was complety gone. I started some crochet work but it just hurt too much.

I have had to give myself the weekend off. This isn't really a hardship as I have no pressing deadlines but I do like to stay ahead when I have the chance.

I've read 2 books and have just started on my 3rd. I've had lots of kitty cuddles, cause obviously the warm kitty body's are soothing on my arm and I've finally got to spend some time in the garden in the sunshine :)

Its been lovely but I'm itching to get my hooks out and get cracking with the new crochet projects. Hopefully I'll have more to show you next week but for now I'm heading over to handmade monday for a catch up on what the other crafty bloggers have been up too :)

14 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I love the picture of Cal and your granny blanket!

    PS: I've just followed you on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have cat assistants. I hope your arm feels better soon. At least you've been able to do some reading.
    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your arm is aching. The colours in your granny blanket are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your arm is better soon. I bought Craftseller magazine yesterday, mainly because of your owls which were looking at me from the shelf in WHSmiths. It is a lovely magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your arm is better soon. Enjoy the cat cuddles in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your arm is better soon - I know I'd be lost if I couldn't pick up a crochet hook. Lovely start to the blanket x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your arm feels less sore and it doesn't become a regular problem as I know how frustrating it is when you can't sew or knit or crochet because of arm problems! You did do an awful lot though!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cat Cal! He is so adorable! I hope your arm get better soon so you can show more of your beautiful creations. I am a follower of your blog via GFC.

    Cutey Patuty Crochet

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no! i hope your arm is feeling better soon... kitty cuddles are sure to help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really busy week for you. I love the granny blanket and I'm sure my mum made me something similar as a child for my dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a complete nightmare to me. I am lucky to have knitting as my insurance policy as I cannot imagine not being able to craft. I wish you a speedy recovery.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no! A wine related injury isn't good!! Hope the rest helped and you can get on this week :-) Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch, this sounds sore. I get this a lot with knitting and thought I should try some of the relaxing moves I see now and then on Pinterest.
    PS: I love the colours you picked for your blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor you !!! I can totally sympathise. Last year my left hand was out of action for a couple of weeks due to surgery. As I'm left handed all I could do was read my kindle.

    Glad to see the kitty's are helping to ease the pain xx

    ReplyDelete