Sunday 4 August 2013

Craftseller geisha girls

Now the magazine has hit the shops I can finally share with you one of my favourite projects to date.

These Geisha girls were a project from craftseller magazine and as soon as I got the email I knew they were gonna be great fun to create.

They wanted 6 geisha girls- very pretty with lots of detail. This was the first sketch I did, but before this sketch there was a lot of working out to be done. I had to get 6 girls with 3 different hair colours, 3 different styles, 6 different symbols, 6 dress colours and 6 contrast colours and not clash or double up on any colour combination. I have a wonderful graph that I worked it all out on but at the mo I can't find a picture of it. It would probably look like gibberish to anyone else anyway.

The pattern was the next part it needed to be simple enough to not put off anyone new to crochet off and fun (I had to repeat it 6 times after all). With a bit of playing around with the maths I had a pattern that fit the bill.

 The first one I made was ginger like me. This photo shows the original wig that was changed so it would come down more on the face so they looked more cute

The second picture shows the positioning of the obi at the back of the dress.













 Here they are all together. The best part of making these girls is being able to go to town the detail in the hair and on the dress. I used buttons, embroidery, felt, ribbons, beads, sequins and even an old earring. It was one of these great stash raiding party's where you get to use all those things you been saving "just in case" :)

It had been hinted that these were for the cover of Craftseller but I didn't know for sure till my mum called me very excited when her subscription copy arrived. I get a very proud feeling seeing these girls in the magazine. They were a lovely project and I hope they inspire others to pick up a hook and get crocheting. Me I'll be baking the Chelsea buns in this issue as they look yummy and I may even get my knitting needles out and have a go at Tracy Todhunters knitted shawl or I might just try and crochet some shawls and cover ups as this good weather can't last forever.

I've missed a few weeks but I'm linking in with handmade Monday over at handmade harbour. Why not head over there too :)

22 comments:

  1. Wow it's wonderful to find out who created these beauties. They looked wonderful and I love the different designs. I'm definitely going to be making some. Congratulation on making the front cover.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing on the front cover - I was going to include the cover in my post this week and I'm glad I didn't - the glory is all yours!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered if these were yours when my copy arrived! They are wonderful and congratulations on being on the front cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. It is lovely to hear to hear you talk so passionately about them. They definitely deserve the front cover spot. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on front page success. The geisha girls look great all together! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The geisha girls look so cute in a row. I love their different hair styles. I really tried to get to grips with crochet this week, but in the end had to unravel it as it looked such a mess. Not going to give up though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on uour Craftseller front cover. The geishas are gorgeous. I can see lots of little girls with a collection of these. Well done ♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic on the front cover. What gorgeous girls they are! I am in awe of anyone who can crochet anything, let alone what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done you, they look totally amazing!! I subscribe to this mag and I have to say this has been one of the most eye catching front covers theyve had x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I have seen them and didn't even realised that you made them. Brilliant! And far too much complicated for me to even attempt. You must be so proud to have your creations in a magazine. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! congratulations! My dream is my design to be featured in a crochet magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're amazing, and the little details on each of them are fabulous. Congratulations on making the front cover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, these are truly lovely and deserve to be on the front cover. Well done. :)

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was SO impressed when I saw these on the cover of the mag and wondered if they were yours! They are gorgeous, well done :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. You must be so proud to see them on the front cover. Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done on making the front cover and well deserved too! your geisha's are fabulous, if only I could crochet

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! You clever clogs! Congratulations on your cover girls! The lower fringe was definitely a great call, and once you've got the basics you're quite right about going to town on their little personalities! Must dash - I'm off to buy it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have started to crochet one of these lovely dolls, but am stuck already....Can you tell me if, at the end of each round, you join with a slip stitch before starting the next round or do you just continue without and definite start and finish point? Also, the first line of the pattern tells you to work 6dc into a magic ring.....What is a "magic" ring please? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi

    unless otherwise stated all my amigurumi patterns are worked in a spiral. Use a stitch marker or bit of contrasting yarn to mark the end of your row, then move it when you get to the end of the next row. You do not slip stitch as this will form a line in the fabric that won't look nice.

    Here is a youtube video on how to make magic ring
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLuSVyKvoUg

    Hope it helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there and thanks for your reply.

      Excellent advice and video clip. It's working and the finish looks much better.

      Much appreciated. Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. impressive, do you have a knitting version of these wonderful dolls?

      Delete
  20. When crocheting a spiral, how do you get the horizontal colour change rows to line up? I find when I get to the end of the second row (row 25)for the belt/sash, the two rows of contrasting colour don't seem to be in line, and look odd. Can you help? Thanks

    ReplyDelete